Originally called ‘Rentalutions’, Avail is a cloud-based property management platform founded in 2012 by Ryan Coon and Laurence Jankelow in Chicago, Illinois, in the United States of America.
The founders leveraged their own real estate investing experience and frustrations to inspire a tool which could support independent landlords in managing their properties without headache and risk via a comprehensive set of tools and resources.
In 2020 the company was acquired by realtor.com and it’s official headquarters moved to Santa Clara, California.
Today, the Avail platform provides comprehensive solutions to make the rental process as simple as possible for over 611.8K landlords and 1.46M tenants.
Below are some figures on how many tenants and landlords Avail serves (along with other useful data). As of April 2023:
- 1.46 million tenants use Avail
- 611.8k landlords use avail
- Avail serves 20,171 property zip codes
- 3.5 million applications have been submitted through Avail
- Avail has processed nearly 1.5 billion dollars in rent
- Avail landlords have saved nearly $120 million in fees
Pricing and features
Having been adopted into the Realtor.com network in late 2020, Avail adheres to the company-wide mission to provide a real estate marketplace built for everyone. This is achieved via a simplification of the renting process through tools specifically designed to address landlord and renter pain points.
Avail’s core features are free to use for all landlords, including:
- Syndicated listings
- Credit and criminal screening
- State-specific leases
- Online rent collection
- Maintenance tracking
- Property accounting
- Online tenant portal
For additional features, users can upgrade their subscription for $7 per unit, per month to unlock the platform’s Unlimited Plus tier:
- FastPay rent payments
- Waived ACH fees
- Customizable applications
- Customizable leases
- Clone lease agreements
- Create marketing website(s)
What is Avail FastPay?
Avail FastPay enables the option to have funds deposited as soon as the next day, as opposed to normal processing times of 3-5 days.
What is Avail CreditBoost?
CreditBoost allows tenants to report their on-time rent payments to TransUnion, helping them to build their FICO 9, FICO XD, and VantageScore credit scores.
In collaboration with Realtor.com, Avail produces real estate industry research on a national scale, including 27,850 zip codes and 930 metropolitan areas. These reports identify market trends such as affordability and cross market demand. The data and insights from such reports are used in partnership with a variety of acclaimed organizations to conduct further research into a variety of topics in relation to the housing market:
- Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative
- Census Bureau
- Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Enterprise Community Partners
- Local Initiatives Support Coalition
- National Council of State Housing Agencies
- National Multifamily Housing Council
- The NYU Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy
- Urban Institute
- The White House
In the News
As a direct result of the company’s impact and influence, Avail has been featured in a number of publications, including Forbes, Entrepreneur, and more.
- 15 Best Property Management Software in 2023 | Research.com
- The 4 Best Rental Listing Sites of 2023 | Investopedia
- How Rent Reporting Benefits Rental Businesses and Tips To Get Started | Forbes
- How to Enhance Your Rental Property Listings and Get More Units Filled This Year | Entrepreneur
- How To Get More Eyes On Your Rental Property Listings | Entrepreneur
Headquarters and locations
Originally headquartered in Chicago, IL, until their acquisition by Realtor.com in 2020. Today, the official headquarters is considered to be located in Santa Clara, CA, along with Realtor.com.
Funding milestones and notable moments
|2012||‘Rentalutions’ was founded by Laurence Jankelow and Ryan Coon in Chicago, IL.|
|2012||Named as one of the “25 Coolest New Businesses in Chicago” by Business Insider|
|2013||Becomes the first company to allow tenants across the United States to pay rent with Bitcoin.|
|2017||Company raised $2 Million in funding from Cultivation Capital, M25 Group, and Sandalphon Capital, which was used to support marketing and advertising efforts, plus add new features.|
|2018||‘Rentalutions’ was rebranded to ‘Avail’ to better represent the company’s mission to build relationships and connections that benefit both landlords and tenants|
|2019||Avail receives another round of investment from Cultivation Capital, $2.5 million, after a period of significant growth.|
|2020||Named #970 overall and #137 in the software category on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in America.|
|2020||Avail brings their total funding to a sum of $9.7 million with another investment from Cultivation Capital for $4.2 million.|
|2020||Realtor.com announces its plans to acquire Avail with CEO David Doctorow explaining the acquisition as a strategic move to further the company’s goal of “[making] finding a home easier and more rewarding”.|
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HelloAvail/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/helloavail/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/helloavail
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@AvailCo/
- Twitter: https://www.instagram.com/helloavail/
-  Avail internal data. Not verified independently.